Okay, I think I've stored up enough roses n' thorns over the past two weeks that it's worth writing a post. Here we go...
Rose
Libby's clean bill of health and her pretty new peeper! I could say more, but her sweet face says it all. :)
Thorn
We had a couple really late nights, cramming to get the script revisions made. While the tweaks themselves were relatively minor, there was still the matter of refining new dialog and cutting down the phat.
Our latest night, Sunday, was then followed by our earliest morning. We were up at the crack 'o dawn (well, maybe not that early, but still...) considering our producer's final suggestions before they passed the script off to Telefilm. Fortunately, their final thoughts were maybe only half a dozen optional "remove a line here, add a reaction there" sort of things.
Of course this temporarily sleep deprived thorn does not come without a rose...
Rose
We met our deadline with a script that we're all very happy with. Although I should mention that the writing won't end here. We've been forewarned that there will be additional drafts as each new partner comes on board. We anticipate that our distributer will have further comments, as will Telefilm when they sign on, and DG as we get closer to production. It's just the way it goes.
But as I've said before, I really don't mind writing at all. It's fun and I enjoy it. The hours whip by when I'm in a zone. It's just the turnaround that always kills. After all, it's never the writing but the turnaround that keeps us in our pj's, eating bowls of soup, working into the night.
(Which reminds me of a side rose: No soup was consumed during the writing of this latest draft! At last we've broken free from that soupy rut! Hooray!)
Thorn
We bought the newest Stone Temple Pilots album, and I dunno... while it's not bad, it's pretty generic. It's kinda like 60 minutes of forgettable radio music. We've listened to it three times now, and I don't think it's growing on either of us. There's one song that stands out with a strong start, but then Weiland begins singing in this Bob Dylan-esque voice, and it just doesn't do it for me... at all. The first time I heard it, I skipped ahead to the next track. I love Bob Dylan, but not when I want to listen to STP.
Rose
"The Only Prescription" mix on Playlist.com. Because sometimes you've got the fever, and for that fever there's only one prescription -- more cowbell!! The list includes a bunch of fun cowbell classics, including everything from Kings of Leon to Tone Loc to Blue Oyster Cult (of course.)
BTW, If you haven't seen the SNL "More Cowbell" skit with Will Ferrel and Christopher Walken that inspired this mix, then you should...
Thorn
Tis fire season once again, which means smokey skies. Meh. While it's definitely hazy out today, it's not too bad, so I'm still sitting outside as I write this. I hope we get that rain they were calling for... we sure could use it.
Rose
Sushi picnics at the beach! We spent two afternoons in a row at Bertram beach, eating sushi in the shade and then lounging on our tubes in the warm water. Beautiful! I was also a smart little girl on the second day, and put our MP3 players in baggies so we could take them out on our tubes with us. So nice. It's days like that when you can't help but think, wow... life is good! :)
Thorn
I had a very irritating situation with some contract work I was recently assigned. I blogged about it, but then I removed the post because I wanted to give that person the benefit of the doubt in case they ever decided to get back to my half dozen emails. They finally did respond, but didn't answer any of my questions! Grrr... Now it's two weeks later and the issue still isn't resolved!
Sheesh... I have to say I'm pretty shocked at how terribly disorganized some people are... although I know I shouldn't be. It's par for the course. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. :P
Rose
I was pleasantly surprised get a letter back from Marc Emery. The only other celebrity I've ever written to was Kirk Cameron when I was nine years old. He was my first celebrity crush. I thought he was so dreamy and was convinced that I'd marry him someday. Ha! I even included a pack of ten cent bubble gum with my letter. Unfortunately, he never wrote me back. Le sigh. Then again, Kirk Cameron wasn't in a federal prison, so he probably didn't have as much time on his hands to return his fan mail as Mr. Emery does.
Okay, I could probably add more roses n' thorns, but this laptop is starting to get really warm, and I want to get on with my day ova here. I have a few more finishing touches to take care of on my helmet (which is lookin' pretty cool, if I do say so myself...) and then I will be starting my next painting for Suzie Q! I've been focusing on acrylics for the past year, so I'm looking forward to diving into the slippery, blendy texture of oil paints again for this piece. Fun, fun, fun!
So I guess that's it for another week... or two.


So glad to hear about Libby, Mel! I had meant to ask you how she was doing when we were out on Sunday, but it slipped my mind. Relieved for her and her family that it turned out so well, all things considered. Such a strong little lady!
ReplyDeleteShe's a strong little lady for sure. She's full of spunk! :)
ReplyDelete